Monday, July 7, 2008

Elephant Orphanage

July 7th Monday 

After breakfast, we packed up and enjoyed wherever Tony drove us. We exchanged our money to shillings in a nearby town and then we stopped at an elephant orphanage. A group of people found and cared for abandoned baby elephants. These elephants had no mothers due to poachers killing them and leaving the baby to fend for itself or die. There were approximately seven infants when we were there and they were very cute.

Next stop was the Kazuri bead factory. It was very interesting and a fun thing to see. The ladies were fascinated and the guys... well, we found what we wanted and made our purchases. I needed help. I didn't quite know what to purchase so it took me all the time allowed. Our next stop was to a giraffe sanctuary. It was a place to raise the Rothschild giraffe. There was a raised resting area for tourists to see the giraffe up close and personal. Whitney was the first victim to be kissed by a giraffe. Tom M. was the second. Michael gave it a try and I ... well, I took photos. I don't remember much after that .... I think we stopped at  Nokumat (a Kenyan sort of Walmart) and the Nairobi java house for lunch.

No comments: