Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Dedication Day Mangu Church Classrooms

We drove through Nairobi every day on our way to Mangu. The exhaust fumes were more than I could stand. I had to pull my shirt over my mouth and nose. My throat was starting to get sore. When we arrived, I drank chi and it helped some. There wasn't much left to do so we touched up the painting and put up the dedication plaque and chalk boards. This gave me a chance to talk with the students and take more photos. They could speak some English and understand most of what I said. The bikes the students rode were very colorful. I learned that some lived about 25k away from school and a bike is a cherished item.


Scott took this time to teach the children some geography. They were very interested in the Atlas and the information he was willing to share. He didn't skip a beat in his English and they seemed to understand everything he was saying. I was intrigued by the crowd he drew. I also learned some things while I listened.

The crowd of children started gathering for the closing dedication. The teachers had them sit according to their age and classes. Most wore cool weather clothing from the morning, however, it was getting hot. It didn't seem to bother them. The youngest lined up first which meant that they had to stay in the sun the longest. They were very cute. I noticed their little feet that many did not have shoes.

Keith Kenne, Tom Marlin, and myself sat at a table prepared for the leadership. Everyone else from our group sat behind us. We watched as the whole school formed before us. The leadership of the school introduced themselves and we were presented with entertainment from each class. Keith introduced our whole group one by one to the school and gave a scripture reading.

The dedication ceremony took place and the plaque was revealed. Trees were planted and we gave out caps to the children made by one of our church members. They were so happy and had a lot of fun when our group passed out candy and the hats. We were on a schedule so after that we had to pile into the van and head back to our hostel.

No comments: